Would you like to make this site your homepage? It's fast and easy...
Yes, Please make this my home page!
Accidental poisonings often occur when daily household
routines become disrupted, as it usually is during the holidays.
Take a few minutes to poison-proof your home and prevent
accidental poisonings. If poisoning does occur, immediately call
the Maryland Poison
Control Center at 1-800-492-2414.
You can also get poison prevention materials by calling
Turkey that is
not thawed or cooked properly can ruin a happy holiday. Vomiting,
diarrhea and abdominal cramps occurring 2-24 hours after eating
may be symptoms of food poisoning. Most food poisonings are
self-limiting, requiring little treatment beyond drinking plenty
of fluids. If symptoms persist or are severe, contact your family
physician. The home economist at your county's Extension Office
can provide information about proper preparation and food
- Alcohol (ethanol)
is the major toxic ingredient in aftershave, cologne,
perfume and alcoholic beverages. It can cause serious
illness and even death, especially in young children.
- Angel hair
is finely spun glass which can cause cuts or irritation
when handles or swallowed.
- Disc batteries
for cameras, calculators and hearing aids are small
enough to be swallowed and, in some cases, can break and
open and cause poisoning.
- Bubble lights,
which contain methylene chloride, can cause poisoning if
ingested in large amounts.
or tinsel may be hazardous when swallowed by
are painted with nontoxic paints unless they are very
old. Cuts from broken balls and lights can occur.
such as holly and mistletoe, are poisonous.
- Tree preservatives
are usually nontoxic sugar solutions. Check the label for
special ingredients or warnings.
(ethylene glycol or methanol) is extremely poisonous
and may result in severe poisoning and death even in
- Carbon monoxide
is a colorless, odorless gas produced in fires, from car
exhaust systems, faulty home heating systems and charcoal
grills. Early symptoms of poisoning are headache and
dizziness. Get fresh air immediately if these symptoms
- Ice melting granules,
also known as rock salt, road salt or halite, is
poisonous if eaten in quantity.
especially cough/cold preparations, headache and pain
killers are frequently used during the winter season.
Keep them properly closed and stored safely out of the
reach of children. Take only as directed by your
physician, pharmacist or the label.
Return to CCFDCA Home